Very few waterproofing companies specialize in basement waterproofing. Their systems tend to fail or the contractor refuses to take on the challenge. However, we love basement waterproofing purely because we have mastered the basement waterproofing systems available. Thus, we offer guarantees for all basement projects we successfully complete. Additionally, we advice you which system is best suited for your current situation.
What Causes Your Basement To Leak?
- Incorrect design from building stage.
- Excessively high water table and hydrostatic pressure.
- Damaged waterproofing on external walls.
- Root growth or structural movement.
- Inadequate subsoil drainage.
- Blocked or failed subsoil drainage.
Symptoms Of Your Basement Leaking
- The most obvious symptom is water seepage through the wall floor joints. This is the open joint where your masonry meets the concrete.
- Damp and muggy feeling inside the room.
- Mould smell or growth.
- Bubbling paint.
- Efflorescence or salts visible on walls.
- Lifting floor tiles (if any).
Basement Waterproofing Recommendations
If your basement leaks once or twice a year during a multi-day long down pour, you can tank the basement and waterproof it from the inside relatively easily. However, if it leaks through normal Gauteng flash storms, we advise installing external subsoil drainage or an internal sump pump as an artillery measure to deal with the water.
My Basement Is Leaking. What Now?
The cheapest option and first point of call is to look at drainage in the vicinity. This alone may alleviate the problem entirely, depending on the severity of the leak. However, if you have a sump pump or subsoil drainage, your best option is known as tanking. This is an application of waterproof, structural slurry capable of withstanding high levels of negative water pressure. Therefore, this is a highly effective system when installed correctly.
What Not To Do When Your Basement Leaks
- Do not apply a paint on ‘damp proofing’ or ‘waterproofing’ paint to the internal walls.
- Drilling holes in the wall to drain water out the room will only make it worse.
- Don’t apply any system onto the painted walls or floors.
- Selling your house is not necessary as this is completely salvageable.
We have successfully solved many basement waterproofing problems. If you have any other questions or concerns you would like to ask us, don’t hesitate to get in touch with our basement waterproofing specialists.